- This course has passed.
July 15 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm$325
Course Duration, Method: 1 day (8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.), Instructor-Led Training
In this course, you will review the rules of grammar, identify common grammar errors, and refine your business writing style. Improving your grammar will help you deliver polished and professional written communications. Correct grammar and a refined, concise writing style can help you clearly express your ideas to others, streamline the directions and instructions that you deliver, and create impressive presentations and reports.Read More
In this course, you will identify the elements of correct grammar for use in professional writing.
- Examine nouns, pronouns, and verbs.
- Identify adjectives and adverbs.
- Identify prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.
- Identify some important rules of grammar and some commonly made grammatical errors.
- Identify grammar rules regarding correct punctuation.
- Identify problematic sentence fragments, run-ons, and comma splices, as well as effective methods of rewriting sentences so that they are clear and complete.
- Identify methods for improving word choices.
- Identify methods for building effective sentences.
- Identify methods for editing text effectively.
This course is intended for working professionals in various job roles, both native and non-native English speakers, who use formal and informal written communications in the course of business, and who seek to improve their grammar usage.
Lesson 1: Identifying Nouns, Pronouns, and Verbs
Topic A: Identify Parts of Speech
Topic B: Use Nouns
Topic C: Use Pronouns
Topic D: Use Verbs
Lesson 2: Identifying Adjectives and Adverbs
Topic A: Use Adjectives
Topic B: Use Adverbs
Lesson 3: Identifying Prepositions, Conjunctions, and Interjections
Topic A: Use Prepositions
Topic B: Use Conjunctions
Topic C: Use Interjections
Lesson 4: Identifying Rules
Topic A: Monitor Sentence Structure
Topic B: Monitor Modifiers
Topic C: Avoid Common Errors
Lesson 5: Identifying Correct Punctuation
Topic A: Use Parentheses Correctly
Topic B: Use Commas, Semicolons, Colons, Em Dashes, and Quotation Marks Correctly
Topic C: Use Numbers, Symbols, and Capitalization Correctly
Lesson 6: Identifying Sentence Fragments, Run-ons, and Comma Splices
Topic A: Identify and Resolve Sentence Fragments
Topic B: Identify and Resolve Run-ons and Comma Splices
Lesson 7: Improving Word Choices
Topic A: Identify Commonly Misused Words
Topic B: Identify Synonyms, Antonyms, and Homonyms
Lesson 8: Writing Effectively
Topic A: Write with Purpose
Topic B: Consider the Audience
Topic C: Consider the Context
Lesson 9: Editing Effectively
Topic A: Use Correct Spelling
Topic B: Check Your Work