- This course has passed.
Diversity Training- Celebrating Diversity in the Workplace
March 7 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm$225
Course Duration, Method: 1 day (8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.), Instructor Led Training
In the past ten years, the workforce has changed dramatically. More than ever, a workplace is a diverse collection of individuals proud of who they are: their gender, their sexual orientation, their religion, their ethnic background, and all the other components that make an individual unique. In order for your workplace to succeed, your employees must be able to appreciate and celebrate those differences.Read More
This course will help you:
- Describe what diversity and its related terms mean.
- To be aware of how aware they are of diversity and where they can improve.
- Understand how changes in the world can affect them and their view.
- To identify their stereotypes.
- Identify what terms are politically correct and which are not, and why.
- Enumerate the four cornerstones of diversity.
- Identify what the pitfalls are relating to diversity and how to avoid them.
- Use a technique for dealing with inappropriate behavior.
- Use a management style to encourage diversity.
- Know what to do if they or one of their employees feels discriminated against.
Participants will begin by defining diversity and related terms, including affirmative action, bias, stereotype, and Equal Employment Opportunity.
How Does Diversity Affect Me?
This session will help participants identify how a changing world has affected them. Participants will also complete a self-awareness inventory to identify possible areas for improvement.
During this session, participants will explore stereotypes from different angles through a lecture and two group exercises.
In this era of political correctness, it’s sometimes hard to keep up with words that have become inappropriate. We will take a look at some phrases that are considered universally incorrect and some basic guidelines. We’ll also take a humorous look at some phrases that have gone too far.
The Cornerstones of Diversity
Diversity experts Armida Russell, Amy Tolbert, and Frank Wilderman have identified four cornerstones of diversity development. They are knowledge, acceptance, understanding, and behavior. We will examine each cornerstone in detail during this session.
How to Discourage Diversity
There are some practices that discourage diversity more than they encourage it. We will look at four common mistakes and how to avoid them.
The STOP Technique
Diversity expert Lenora Billings-Harris has developed a four-step technique that you can use when someone is behaving in an inappropriate manner. It’s called STOP. Participants will learn about the technique through a lecture and will then practice it in a role play.
Managing for Diversity
During this brief lecture, we will look at some simple things managers and employees can do to encourage diversity in their workplace.
Dealing with Discrimination
To wrap up the day, we will discuss how to deal with discrimination as a manager and an employee.
At the end of the day, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
- March 7
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Courses Categories:
- Diversity, Workplace Skills Training
- Courses Tags:
- 485838, Diversity Training- Celebrating Diversity in the Workplace
- Broadview Academy
950-167 Lombard Ave.
Winnipeg, MB R3B 0V3 Canada + Google Map
- Tina Strong